questions: THE TWO GRANDMOTHERS
1. What is appealing, for the protagonist, at grandma's house?
2. Describe grandma Del's house?
3. Who passes by grandma Del's house? Who passes by the protagonist's house? What is highlighted by this contrast?
4. What does the term 'Eulalie fell' mean?
5. Grandma Del is the parent of which of the protagonist's parents? Provide evidence.
6. Quote the evidence that proves that grandma Del 'fell' as well.
7. How does the audience know that the little girl does not attend church consistently?
8. Why did grandma not send the protagonist's hat home?
9. How does the protagonist feel about the fact that grandma made her dresses? Why?
10. What is grandma Del's early morning ritual?
11. How are grandma Del's stories different from mommy's?
12. What does the fact that grandma Elaine/Towser wants her granddaughter to call her Towser reveal about her?
13. What does Grandma Elaine/Towser think of Grandma Del?
14. Why does grandma Elaine/Towser not want the protagonist to stay with grandma Del? What is the suggested alternative?
15. What does grandma Elaine/Towser think of the protagonist's hair?
16. Who is Grandma Elaine/Towser's child?
17. How many times has grandma Elaine/Towser been married?
18. Describe grandma Elaine/Towser's date?
19. Why is the protagonist confused about why grandma Elaine/Towser wants her to visit her home?
20. Where does the protagonist want her mother to take her? Why?
21. What item does the protagonist want her mother to get?
22. What feeling is elicited in grandma Elaine/Towser when she sees the protagonist's skin and hair?
23. List four differences between the two grandmothers.
24. Who is Pearlie? Describe the circumstances under which she lives?
25. What does the term 'force ripe' mean?
26. Why does grandma Del not like Eulalie and Ermandine?
27. 'Cockroach nuh bizniz inna fowl roos.' (p.121). What does this term mean?
28. When is grandma Del most happy?
29. How are the people in the rural and the servants in town similar?
30. What new prospects are in store for Eulalie and Ermandine when the protagonist returns to the country?
31. What is grandma Del/Towser's new boyfriend's name?
32. Why is the protagonist ashamed to tell her friends that she's going to the country
33. Why is the country boring?
34. Give evidence to prove that the protagonist now dislikes the country, as well as going too church?
35. Give evidence to prove that the protagonist's attitude towards Eulalie and Ermandine has changed?
36. What fact does the reader learn about grandma Del, from Ermandine?
37. List two things that the protagonist is ashamed of?
38. What is the name of grandma Elaine/Towser's new boyfriend?
39. What was the protagonist's suggestion regarding visiting grandma Del?
40. Identify the plot structure of the story?
41. What point of view is used in this story?
Contributor: Leisa Samuels-Thomas