questions: THE MAN OF THE HOUSE
1. What was mother trying to do when she started coughing?
2. List the tasks that the protagonist did for his mother?
3. What reason did Sullivan give his friend for NOT going to school?
4. What was on Sullivan’s ‘to do’ list?
5. Why did Sullivan NOT go far to play? What activity did he do every half an hour?
6. What concern did Miss Ryan have about mother’s health?
7. Recount Sullivan’s experience of shopping for whiskey?
8. How did mother’s illness progress in the night? What quality about it particularly frightened Sullivan?
9. What was different about the new day?
10. List the chores that Sullivan had to do on this new day?
11. What important task did Sullivan have to do?
12. Who kept the little boy company?
13. What was the little boy pressured to do?
14. How did the little boy feel after he gave in to the peer pressure?
15. What did he do before he went home?
16. How did his mother react?
17. What is the point of view that is used in this short story?
18. What plot structure is used in this short story?
Contributor: Leisa Samuels-Thomas