questions: MOM LUBY AND THE SOCIAL WORKER
1. What lie did Mom Luby intend to tell the agents at the Welfare office? Why?
2. Describe Mom Luby's physical features.
3. What is a speakeasy?
4. Who did Mom Luby think was at the door?
5. What was the usual procedure with this visitor?
6. Who was really at the door?
7. Why did the person pay them a visit?
8. What were some inconsistencies in the information that Mom Luby gave the visitor?
9. What were the instructions that the lady gave Mom Luby for her to get clothes for the children?
10. List Mom Luby's profession, along with her 'to do' list.
11. Describe the visitor's physical appearance after her outing with Mom Luby.
12. What realization did the visitor reach at the end of the story?
13. Identify the irony in the story.
14. What point of view is used in the story?
15. What plot structure is used in the short story?
Contributor: Leisa Samuels-Thomas