questions: THE BOY WHO LOVED ICE-CREAM
1. Identify two (2) facts, in the short story, that indicates the family's economic state?
2. What function is the family preparing to attend?
3. What prevented Benjy from tasting ice-cream?
4. Recount Elsa's description of ice-cream's taste.
5. Identify the differences, regarding personality, between Mama and Papa?
6. Why was Papa so impatient with Benjy?
7. Outline Papa's 'evidence' that Mama was unfaithful to him?
8. Where is the story set?
9. Who were the hosts for the event that the family was attending?
10. How did this event evolve and change over time?
11. What two separate issues distracted Papa and Benjy throughout their attendance of the event?
12. Recount the events that led to Benjy losing his ice-cream.
13. What plot structure is used in the short story?
14. What dramatic technique is used at the end of the story?
15. What point of view is used in this short story?
Contributor: Leisa Samuels-Thomas